Friday, September 5, 2008

Our Lucy

We are happy to say that today, September 5th, Lucy is free of pain and able to once again run and see all the beauties around her. We are sad that she is gone but we know that she is in a better place now. Maybe she is even getting 'even' with her sister, Molly. I don't know exactly, but I do have a peace in my heart knowing that she is free.

Lucy graced our family 13 years ago. She was the last of her litter to be born, hence, they named her, 'Lucy come Lately'. We thought that was funny. In fact, we couldn't decide between the bubbly black cocker and the spirited red cocker, so we got both for the price of one plus a little more. These two puppies brought smiles and laughter to our five children. They quickly worked their way into each of our hearts. We loved them and we loved the last three years with Lucy after Molly died.

I remember how one time Lucy ate the whole package of 12 Costco chocolate muffins that Brevin left by the front door one day. I remember how Lucy loved running and bringing back the ball to each of us. I remember how Lucy would chat with us by her unusual noises. I remember how she never complained even when her sister, Molly, was growling at her and acting very angry. I remember how Lucy fell one day out of our van and Summer announced, "Mom, she is definately blind"......well, she recovered and we never forgot that Christmas ride looking at lights in northern California. I remember that in spite of her ailments over the last few years, she always wagged her tail and was truly happy when she felt your presence. I remember how she went for a walk every night with her companion, Hars. Sometimes she was very tired but she knew he wanted to take her for some exercise, and so she went. After she got up the hills around here, she loved coming back down. I remember our road trip with her last year to northern California, Idaho and Utah. She loved being on her perch in the back seat of our car. It was fun to have her with us to see the places her family calls 'home now.' There are so many things to remember when an animal blesses your life and she truly did bless ours. We will miss her.

This marks yet another facet of our life with her passing. As Trace Atkins says, "you're gonna miss this....." how true, we surely will.

Life does go on and we hope that she is enjoying her new adventures as much now and, maybe, even just a little bit more. Happy trails, Luce....You were the BEST!

2 comments:

Diana said...

Barbs, We can send Raleigh to you guys!I am sure Hars would like that..:)Do you think you guys will get a puppy in the future?

Liz said...

Oh- I am so sorry about Lucy but also understand that she is free of pain. I know how much you both will miss her!!! She was so sweet. I can just see her running around with Molly! My thoughts are with you- as usual- but even more so at this time. Love you guys....